Follow

Tuesday 31 January 2012

My mission that I stupidly set myself and now have gone public so I have no option but to see it through to completion otherwise I may self destruct.

I decided to give up smoking on Thursday 26th January. Thanks to Allen Carr (not of Spexy beast fame @AlanCarr but of Easyway fame @Allencarr) easy to mistake the two if you ask me.

So giving up smoking. I'm not finding it that hard to be honest. A lot of it is fear and the book I read by Allen Carr distills a lot of this (Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr). I'm not saying it's plain sailing but it really isn't as hard as I thought it would be. The book strips away the brainwashing and makes you look at things positively.

Anyway I digress, back to my mission I had one of my brain waves on Sunday 29th January at about 10 pm when I should have been in bed to get up at 4:30 for work but was running a bath instead. I thought how hard could it be to run a triathlon?

I mean it's only swimming (used to swim for my town swimming club), riding a bike (used to ride 20 odd miles when I was a teenager in the 90's) and running. Now I've never been any good at running and the thought of it fills me with dread but what the heck, in for a penny in for a pound.

So I did some research and have now set myself the challenge of completing the London Triathlon at Olympic Standard (thats a 1.5km swim, a 40km bike ride and a 10km run) a mere 240 days after I stopped smoking.

I should at this point express the gravity of my challenge. I'm 16 stone 3 lbs (as of Sunday evening) and I have done no formative exercise since completing the London 2 Brighton bike ride in 2008 (with no training but thats a another story - one born out of laziness and stubbornness rather than me thinking it would be a good idea ).

I will be doing this (hopefully - waiting on e-mail confirmation) in aid of Cancer Research, which seems quite fitting given I have just kicked smoking which is the largest cause of cancer in society today. I plan on raising more than the necessary money over the next 235 days and will be shamelessly plugging the sponsorship again and again.

I plan on using this blog to publicise my efforts of going from a smoker to a triathlete within 240 days. I will also be publicising my efforts on Twitter and hope to gain some corporate sponsorship of equipment through advertising on my blog, twitter or wherever.

Thanks for reading

Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment